History of ARE at UConn

The Agricultural and Resource Economics Department has been around since UConn has been UConn.

Back when the University was known as the Connecticut Agricultural College, a single course entitled "Rural Economics" formed the seed of what would grow into one of the leading ARE departments in the world.

Click to learn more about ARE's current activities

As the college grew, so did its mission to provide education on topics relating to farm management, agribusiness, and resource economics. At first housed within the Department of Economics (though forming the bulk of what the Econ Department did in that era), by the time the colllege was reorganized into the University of Connecticut, the ARE component had become too large and specialized to stay under the Economics umbrella. Thus, when the University in its current form was launched on July 1, 1939, the independent Department of Agricultural Economics was born along with it.

Much has changed in the intervening eight decades (including the Department's name, slightly), but what remains is ARE's commitment to provide world-class instruction to tomorrow's practicioners and scholars, and innovative solutions to today's most pressing issues in agricultural, applied and resource economics.

History of ARE 1920-1979

Check back for History of ARE 1980-2015 (coming 2016)  

Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics
University of Connecticut
1376 Storrs Road, Unit 4021
W.B. Young Building
Storrs, Connecticut 06269-4021

Phone: (860) 486-2836
Fax: (860) 486-1932

More Contact Information