Application Procedure and Deadlines
If you are interested, please follow the directions below to apply.
- Applications for admission are due by July 15 for Fall semester and by December 1 for Spring semester.
- International applicants are strongly advised to apply by June 1 for Fall semester admission and by November 1 for Spring semester admission.
- All applicants interested in assistantship funding should apply by January 15 to be assured full consideration for Fall semester and November 1 for Spring semester.
- A baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Official transcripts covering all of your previous academic work (both undergraduate and graduate). It must meet one of the following criteria:
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 for your entire undergraduate career or
- If the most recent degree is an undergraduate degree or the student has not yet completed their undergraduate degree:
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher for the entire two most recent years of full-time undergraduate coursework, or
- A GPA of 3.5 or higher for the entire most recent year of full-time undergraduate coursework, or
- If a student has taken at least one semester of full-time study following the completion of the most recent undergraduate or graduate degree, a GPA of 3.0 or higher for all of their post-degree coursework.
The full admissions and international applicant requirements of the University of Connecticut’s graduate school can be found at Admission Requirements
- If English is not your primary language, you may be required to submit evidence of your proficiency in the English language. English Proficiency for Admission
- If you are non-native speaker of English and will hold a teaching assistantship, your oral English proficiency will be assessed when you arrive on campus. See UConn’s English Proficiency Policy for TAs and Testing Procedures for details.
In addition to the Graduate School requirements, the Department requires:
- Three letters of recommendation
- A personal statement of purpose
- Additional writing samples, if any, to support your application.
Applicants seeking departmental assistantship funding are also required to submit scores from the GRE General Test.
For any admissions related questions, please contact Farhed Shah at ARE@uconn.edu or 860-486-4467.